Do you have the dedication, skills, knowledge and experience to help us improve the life of Palestine refugees? The United Nations Relief and Works Agency offers challenging opportunities for professionals interested working in a results-driven and diverse environment. If you are then we would like to hear from you.
UNRWA is the United Nations agency responsible for the protection, care and human development of a population of some 4.6 million Palestine refugees living in the Gaza Strip, the West Bank, Jordan, Lebanon, and the Syrian Arab Republic. The Agency is committed to assisting Palestine refugees in maintaining a decent standard of living, acquiring appropriate knowledge and skills, enjoying the fullest possible extent of human rights, and leading a long and healthy life. UNRWA is by far the largest UN operation in the Middle East with over 29,000 staff. Most of the staff members are refugees themselves, working directly to benefit their communities – as teachers, doctors, nurses or social workers.
Legal Assistant | مساعد قانوني
Location : Gaza Field
Type of Appointment : Limited Duration Contract
Deadline for Application : 18 August 2016
Vacancy Announcement Number : 02-08-2016
Grade : Band “F”
Department/Division : DUO’s Office/Legal
PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The incumbent of this post reports to the Head, Field Legal Office (HFLO).
In accordance with Agency policy and procedures, the ideal candidate advises on:
- Investigations of staff misconduct throughout the Field, applying and ensuring objectivity, impartiality and fairness throughout the investigative processes in accordance with generally recognized international investigative standards and Agency guidelines.
- The interpretation and application of the Agency’s regulatory framework, in particular, UNRWA Area Staff Regulations, Rules and associated administrative issuances, Financial regulations and Organisational Directives
- Questions affecting the privileges and immunities of the Agency and its relationships with governments, international organisations and other authorities;
- Questions relating to the privileges and immunities of the Agency's staff in the Field, following up with authorities concerned and preparing correspondence as required; and
- The Agency's contractual obligations in the Field including any disputes that may arise between the Agency and third party
- Leases and contracts and other legal documents; and
- Correspondence, Memoranda and notes on various legal matters.
Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor degree in Law with a license to practice the profession in the Field of Duty Station.
- A minimum of four year's experience as a practicing lawyer or as a legal adviser in a public or private business organization or institution.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Experience or training in the use of personal computers and in operating standard software applications such as MS-Word, Excel, and Access
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others in a team environment;
- Ability to effectively compile and synthesis information;
- Proven ability in the analysis of facts/information, the development of rigorous arguments and replies and provision of sound advice;
- Takes responsibility for delegated assignments and operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules;
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in both English and Arabic;
- Ability and willingness to take initiative;
- Strong judgment and decision making skills;
- Ability to plan own work and manage conflicting priorities;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Its desirable to have working knowledge of UN financial rules, regulations and procedures and experience with UN Organizations
- The incumbent may be required to travel, as needed, in the Agency’s area of operations in the Middle East.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
- Basic Salary: Monthly basic salary $1,554.90; and monthly dependency allowance $18.65 and Group Medical Insurance GMI $12.00.
- Contract Duration: Six months (Extension is subject to continued need, availability of funds and satisfactory service.
- Leave: 30 days annual leave.
- Other conditions of service and benefits may apply.
- A regular staff member can apply to this LDC post but will not be allowed to assume such post through Secondment as he/she needs to leave his/her current post to accept LDC appointment.
When the minimum requirements are not fully met, the Director of Human Resources; in consultation with the Director of UNRWA Operations, Gaza may exceptionally substitute part of the unmet requirements with a combination of relevant academic qualifications, additional professional training and progressive relevant work experience.
NB: Work experience alone or formal qualifications with no relevant work experience are not considered an acceptable combination.
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for human rights, for diversity, and for non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs.
UNRWA encourages applications from qualified and experienced women. It is Agency policy to give full consideration to disabled candidates whose disability does not militate against the effective performance of the duties of the post. UNRWA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications equally from men and women. Where there are two or more equally qualified candidates, selection preference will normally be given to internal candidates, Palestine Refugees and candidates of the under-represented gender. With their prior agreement, candidates who are approved as suitable for appointment but are not the selected candidate for this vacancy, will be placed on the Agency’s roster of pre-approved candidates for a period of up to one year, and may be considered for future vacancies in the same position. The Agency maintains the discretion to fill future vacancies for this position from the roster without re-advertising the vacancy.
HOW TO APPLY
If you have got the skills and experience required above, and want to make an active and lasting contribution to improving the lives of Palestine refugees, then register on
by creating a personal profile and completing the UNRWA Personal History Form. Only applications received through this website will be considered. Please note that UNRWA only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Candidates may also be invited to take a technical exam in order further evaluate their qualifications for thepost. Due to a high volume of applications received, only short-listed applicants will be contacted. The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. The United Nations does not concern itself with information on bank accounts.
This vacancy notice is open to internal and external candidates. As an Area post, preference will be given to local candidates already based in the duty station of the post.