UNWOMEN Programme Associate - Jerusalem
Job ID/Title : 920 - UNWOMEN Programme Associate
Brand : UNWOMEN
Application Deadline : 09-Dec-16
Duty Station : Jerusalem
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Starting Date :01-Jan-16
Duration of Initial Contract : one year (possibility for extension)
Expected Duration of Assignment : 24 months
The UN Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, the UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women plays an innovative and catalytic role in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt) since its inception in 1997. UN Women oPt focuses its activities on one overarching goal, namely to support the implementation at the national level of existing international commitments to advance gender equality in line with the national priorities. In support of this goal and thoroughly taking into consideration the specificities of the oPt context, UN Women concentrates its efforts and interventions toward the realization of following strategic goals: Engendering governance, peace and security; Supporting women's economic security and rights; and Promoting women’s rights and protection against violence.
With the overall goal to enhance gender equality in the region, UN Women is implementing a regional programme (2015-2018) that aims at responding to new challenges and opportunities with regards to gender equality and women’s empowerment, with emphasis on engaging men and boys and re-visiting masculinities. It seeks to understand the root causes of gender inequalities and to address them through an innovative bottom-up approach. The programme intends more specifically to contribute to the following:
- Understand the root causes of gender inequality to develop evidence-based advocacy and awareness-raising tools;
- Strengthen the capacities and networks of GEWE civil society organizations, with a focus on the sustainability of new and emerging movements;
- Develop community-based solutions to promote gender equality based on innovative approaches and South-South exchanges.
While the programme adopts a regional perspective, it will focus on four targeted countries: Morocco, Lebanon, Egypt and Palestine.
Description of Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of UN Women Special Representative and the direct supervision of the “Men and Women for Gender Equality” Project Coordinator, UN Women wishes to bring on board a Programme Associate, who will undertake the following duties and responsibilities related to the programme:
Provides effective support to management of the programme focusing on the achievement of the following actions:
- Supporting the efficient and timely implementation of programme activities;
- Assisting in the development of project work plans (including procurement and financial plans) and provide support for monitoring project budget in terms of expenditures according to the work plan.
- Establishing and maintaining the project follow-up system for actions and deadlines;
- Support to coordination efforts with programme partners and ensuring flow of information with women’s organizations, government organizations, donors and local NGO’s; arranging for meetings with stakeholders and draft minutes of meetings as requested;
- Preparing and drafting of ToRs, contracts and MoUs for programme partners and consultants and follow up submission of progress reports and agreed deliverables;
- Drafting progress reports, inception reports, donor reports, briefings, success stories and press releases, as requested;
- Arranging and coordinating appointments and meetings as well as programs for in-coming and outgoing official missions;
- Organizing workshops, activities and events related to the program as well as regular project-site visits in order to monitor and evaluate flow of activities on the ground;
- Review and collection of information on recent reports on Palestinian women and other related issues released from different UN agencies and partners;
- Support to development of simplified project documents, as requested.
Provides programmatic support to the Men and Women for Gender Equality programme focusing on achievement of the following actions:
- Supporting creation of projects in Atlas, preparation of budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, operational and financial closure of a project;
- Presenting information for audit of the programme;
- Creating e-requisitions in Atlas for the programme and register of goods receipt in Atlas;
- Drafting formal correspondence, in both Arabic and English;
- Maintaining proper filing, both soft and hard versions, of programme documents;
- Providing translations, as requested;
- Supporting in the liquidation of Face Forms/ advances to partners through regular spot check visits to partners to verify financial documents; provide guidance to the partner organizations in any related matters;
- Supporting formulation of programme strategies through collection, analysis and presentation of information for identification of areas for support and programme formulation/implementation;
Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of the following actions:
- Participation in workshops and trainings as requested by the Project Coordinator;
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Keeping up to date with the latest advancement in the field of information and knowledge sharing.
Support to the establishment and management of the Small Grants Fund:
- Prepare and organize the process for the call for proposals for the small grants.
- Participate in the selection process of CBO’s to receive the funds;
- Provide guidance to partner organizations and CBO’s implementing and/ or receiving the fund;
- Organize follow-up meetings and field visits associated with activities implemented through the fund;
- Provide regular reporting on the fund including obstacles, challenges and guidance;
Core values and Guiding principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff.
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Ability to share knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a wide range of varied, inter-related administrative services
- Ability to interpret and analyze data and resolve operational problems, propose solutions
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, and to plan and organize work
- Ability to supervise and train support staff
- Ability to provide inputs to business process re-engineering and development and implementation of new systems
Leadership and Self-Management
- Ability to focus on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Ability to organizes and prioritize work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Ability to approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Ability to remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
A university degree in project management, social sciences, development field or any other related fields.
- Minimum of 4-5 years of experience in project management cycle or any relevant professional field;
- Proven computing skills (word processing, spread sheets, database, internet applications);
- Very good organizational skills;
- Previous experience in the UN system is considered an asset.
- Very good communication and writing skills and fluency in English and Arabic (comprehension, written and spoken).