Providing Capacity Building for Teachers in the Determinatio...
Providing Capacity Building for Teachers in the Determination Schools in Palestine
Deadline for submission: 15 December 2019
Children in many parts of the State of Palestine continue to face obstacles to access and continued participation due to restrictions of movement, settler harassments; threats and attacks on schools; arbitrary detention; poor infrastructure; lack of classrooms or prolonged hospitalization. The teaching methodologies that are teacher-centred and theory-based, and priorities memorization and rote learning challenge quality over practical and critical thinking skills. Furthermore, teaching is not tailored to the range of abilities of students and as a result, much is still needed to address the challenges to delivering quality inclusive education in Palestine to ensure access and participation.
Within the framework of the ECW MULTI-YEAR PROGRAMME FOR THE STATE OF PALESTINE, it has been agreed to address vulnerable groups including children who are hospitalized for prolonged time.
Recognizing that children who are hospitalized for prolonged periods of time are at significant risk of falling behind in their studies, the MOE has begun to focus on this group of children through structured and inclusive education interventions to ensure their access to education. In 2018, MOE opened four schools, called determination schools, in Muttala’ (Augusta Victoria) Hospital in Jerusalem, AlMaqased Hospital in Jerusalem, AnNajjah Hospital in Nablus and Palestine Medical Complex in Ramallah. They serve children from West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza. Support to teacher training and resources in these schools however is needed to ensure that the quality of teaching and learning in these facilities is maintained. Therefore, the consultant/Institution shall:
Term of reference:
- Conduct a meeting with the Ministry of Education and UNESCO to agree on a methodology and timeframe to develop the below activities.
- Submit a workplan to UNESCO with a clear timeframe as agreed in point 1 to complete the activities before May 31, 2020
- Develop a guide on essential skills to be taught to the hospitalized students especially for children from grade 1-10, in close consultation with ECW partners and MOE.
- Provide 5 days capacity building trainings to support teachers at the four determination schools in the implementation of student-centered approaches and psychosocial social support.
- Conduct at least one visit per week to each for the four determination schools in Ramallah, Jerusalem, Bethlehem and Nablus to monitor and evaluate the implementation of activities
- Submit to UNESCO Ramallah Office a progress report every two months including photos and success stories, videos, any media outlets and a final report in English by Mid- May 2019 including all supporting documents.
- An advanced university degree (Master's or higher) in special education, inclusive education or a related field, with strong understanding and expertise in student-centered instructional strategies and psychosocial support.
- Fluency in English and Arabic (verbal and written) is required.
- Availability to work in Jerusalem, Ramallah, Bethlehem and Nablus
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional work experience in fields relevant to inclusive education
How to apply:
By the deadline date of 15 December 2019, please submit ALL of the above via email to:
Including the subject: ED: Providing Capacity Building for Teachers in the Determination Schools in Palestine
- Cover letter
- A proposal (2-3 pages) for the activity (including methodology, time-line and budget quoted in US dollars, according to the outputs/deliverables foreseen)
- CV’s of the consultant and any team members indicating prior experience in Inclusive education with references of prior similar assignments.
- Statement confirming that the consultancy or consultant holds a valid bank account in the name indicated on the bid document.
Incomplete or missing information or documentation and evidence of experience as requested above, may exclude you from further consideration.