"Consultancy to conduct capacity building on “Mobile Journal...
Feminist Power in Action for Women’s Economic Rights
Terms of Reference (TOR)
Consultancy to conduct capacity building on “Mobile Journalism for Economic Rights Advocacy-Using mobiles on creation visual content”
Established in 1981, the Palestinian Working Woman Society for Development (PWWSD) is a non-governmental women’s, developmental, and learning human rights organization that contributes to developing feminist struggle within national, social, and developmental dimensions. The organization believes that liberating women is connected directly with ending the occupation and establishing a full Palestinian democratic sovereign civil state. PWWSD is active all-over West Bank including East Jerusalem, and the Gaza Strip, and is an active member in several local, regional, and global networks and coalitions.
Palestinian Working Woman Society for Development (PWWSD) aims for a free and democratic Palestinian society based on gender equality, respect for human rights, and social justice. The organization promotes women’s empowerment, women’s participation in the national struggle against the occupation, women’s contribution to the development processes, the entitlement of women to political, economic, and civic rights, women’s access to justice, and their right to a life free of violence.
2.About the project:
The Programme MENA Feminist Power in Action for Women’s Economic Rights (Fem PAWER) will strengthen young women who face multiple discrimination and economic gender-based violence (E/GBV) in the MENA-specific countries (Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, and Tunisia) to be the leader for change by holding duty bearers accountable towards Women Economic Rights (WER) and improve conditions for young women in the informal economic sector.
FEM PAWER is a partially capacity development Program in lobby and advocacy (in the field of economic gender-based violence and WER), targeting WRO’s and young women in 4 MENA countries, (Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon, and Tunisia) aiming at improving the gender-responsive accountability mechanisms of duty bearers. The Program is engaged in inclusive collaboration including providing small grants to partner organizations (POs), capacity development, networking and creating coalition opportunities, and lobbying and advocacy-related actions. The inclusive partnerships are the backbone of the Program and are intended to be applied among POs, across PO lobby and advocacy work, as well at the Consortium level. A total of 11 POs have been supplied with sub-grants in Palestine (9 POs in the West Bank, 2 POs in the GAZA Strip)
- Purpose of Assignment:
The field of journalism has transformed due to recent technological advancements, benefiting traditional practices. These shifts are crucial for media to meet evolving audience expectations in credibility and timeliness. Smartphones, digital tech, and Wi-Fi have significantly impacted journalism, with mobiles becoming vital for news consumption and journalistic use.
Mobile journalism innovatively equips journalists with smartphones to cover stories promptly and safely. It overcomes challenges, reinforcing freedom of expression and information accessibility. For instance, reporting on disasters traditionally demanded costly equipment, but now smartphones eliminate setup time. Conflict zone reporting is also streamlined, as smartphones replace bulky gear and allow discreet work.
Beyond mobility, mobile journalism provides creative advantages. Sophisticated cameras, apps, and equipment enable diverse content creation. It defines news gathering and delivery via smartphones or tablets, trending in broadcasting and news coverage. It could become the standard, especially for breaking news.
PWWSD is soliciting an experienced consultant/s (organizations or firms) for conducting capacity building and development for the targeted POs and young women, and Women Rights Organizations (WROs) on Mobile Journalism for Economic Rights Advocacy -Using mobiles to creation visual content.
The consultancy includes developing a basic manual on Mobile Journalism, including the needed skills to complete the whole process of news production in the ﬁeld: from newsgathering to publishing and broadcasting, and tips on how to tell your story.
- Scope of Work
The consultant/trainer is expected to conduct the following tasks:
- Conduct 4 days training course divided into 2 phases as follows
- Conduct 3 days training sessions for 15-25 young women from different areas in the West Bank. The target women will be trained on the concept of Mobile Journalism, and how to use mobile for creation and editing of visual content. trainees will be asked to develop at least one short film related to their work of expertise. The film will be presented, reviewed, and modified in session (Day 4) after one or two weeks.
- Conduct one-day training, follow-up sessions for the same trainees. The objective of this day is to review, comment, and modify short films produced by participants after the 1st
- Prepare training manual, training presentation, Pre and post-questionnaires that examine the trainees’ knowledge of the topic covered in the training.
- The proposed manual should include four main phases of Mobile Journalism Workflow. Planning; includes story angle, potential sources and/or interviewees, and potential shots script ideas. News gathering includes; research, finding sources, and collecting and verifying data. Shooting, scripting, and editing include; shoot still photo/video, extracting stills from video footage, capturing audio, writing for pic/videos, and editing and formatting files. Publish and broadcast includes desirable digital platforms or other media platforms.
- Submit the final training report including results of Pre and post-questionnaires, recommendations, and quotes from trainees.
- Training materials and presentation in Arabic language.
- Pre and post-questionnaires.
- Training final report in English.
- BA or Master's Degree in Journalism, media, digital media or communication, or related field.
- Proven and documented experience for more than five years in capacity building, economic rights advocacy, and developing and leading training sessions on Journalism Mobile.
- Experience in gender equality, including women's economic rights, and social and human rights.
- Flexibility to work with trainees with a variety of levels of knowledge and multicultural contexts.
- Similar service with recognized organizations.
- Excellent English and Arabic reporting skills.
The implementation will be during September - October, 2023 to undertake the above-mentioned tasks including conducting the training, developing the action plan, and submitting the training report. The produced materials will be reviewed by PWWSD, and feedback will be provided to the trainer.
- Evaluation criteria:
Submitted offers will be evaluated based on technical and financial proposals. Technical will be given 70% while financial offers will be given 30%. Technical offers will be evaluated according to the following: (1) profile of similar assignments (15%), (2) CVs and certificates (10%), (3) description of work and methodology and approach (25%), (4) action plan and timeframe (10%), and (5) at least three references for similar services for the last three years (10%).
10% will be deducted as income tax in case no resource of deduction is provided.
- How to apply:
The technical offer should include:
- A CV and cover letter of no more than 2 pages introducing the consultant and how the skills and competencies described above are met, with concrete examples and references.
- Examples of similar previous Consultancy related to the same
- An outline of no more than 6 pages of the proposed process and key considerations including:
- Proposed methodology and training methods.
- The proposed
The Financial proposal should contain the following information:
- Prices are valid for 60 days.
- The submitted offers should be in Euros including VAT. The tenderer should be able to issue an official VAT invoice or PWWSD will deduct a percentage of the final payment according to the Palestinian Taxation Department &
- Prices should include all types of expenses such as consultant/trainer transportation, or accommodation if needed, calls ..etc.
- Daily rate, and total financial offer (cost).
Interested consultant(s) are required to submit a signed and stamped technical and financial offers with a detailed breakdown budget to PWWSD through email [email protected], the submission deadline is Sep. 28, 2023.