Do you have the dedication, skills, knowledge and experience to help us improve the life of Palestine refugees? The United Nations Relief and Works Agency offers challenging opportunities for professionals interested working in a results-driven and diverse environment. If you are then we would like to hear from you.
UNRWA is the United Nations agency responsible for the protection, care and human development of a population of some 4.6 million Palestine refugees living in the Gaza Strip, the West Bank, Jordan, Lebanon, and the Syrian Arab Republic. The Agency is committed to assisting Palestine refugees in maintaining a decent standard of living, acquiring appropriate knowledge and skills, enjoying the fullest possible extent of human rights, and leading a long and healthy life. UNRWA is by far the largest UN operation in the Middle East with over 29,000 staff. Most of the staff members are refugees themselves, working directly to benefit their communities – as teachers, doctors, nurses or social workers.
GIS Technician | فني نظم المعلومات الجغرافية
Location :Gaza Field
Type of Appointment :Fixed Term
Deadline for Application : 10 September 2017
Vacancy Announcement Number : 15-08-2017
Department/Division : DUO’s Office
In accordance with Agency policy and procedures, the ideal candidate:
- Captures Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data in different formats using GPS; creates map layouts and views, and generates reports; prepares graphic presentations;
- Enters data into GIS databases, using techniques such as coordinate geometry, keyboard entry of tabular data, manual digitizing of maps, scanning or automatic conversion to vectors, or conversion of other sources of digital data, ensuring accuracy and relevancy;
- Downloads, converts and uploads GIS data available from internal and external sources to make them usable for the team needs, provides technical support thereof;
- Utilizes GIS data to display results of analyses, using maps, graphs or tabular data, as advised by supervisor;
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by supervisor(s).
PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES
- A two years diploma in Geography/GIS, civil engineering or relevant discipline;
- At least four years of related experience in GIS applications;
- Good knowledge of spoken and written English and Arabic;
Competencies: UN Core Values of Professionalism, Integrity and Respect for Diversity and Core Competencies of Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results apply. In addition, the following functional competencies apply:
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Following Instructions and Procedures
- Learning and Researching
The incumbent may be required to work beyond regular working hours.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
- Basic Salary: Monthly basic salary $951.30; and monthly dependency allowance up to $123.25.
- Contract Duration: Three years including 1 year probation period.
- Employment for this post might be either on full-time or part-time basis based on the needs.
Announcing this modality does not mean that it would definitely be used. It would rather give the
Agency the flexibility to use both full time and part time contracts based on the work needs and the
personal circumstances or preferences of the staff member.
- Leave: 30 days annual leave
- Pension: Provident Fund contribution
- Other conditions of service and benefits may apply.
When the minimum requirements are not fully met, the Director of Human Resources; in consultation with the Director of UNRWA Operations, Gaza may exceptionally substitute part of the unmet requirements with a combination of relevant academic qualifications, additional professional training and progressive relevant work experience.
NB: Work experience alone or formal qualifications with no relevant work experience are not considered an acceptable combination.
Qualified candidates will be required to undergo tests and a competency based interview. To learn more about positive and negative indicators of professional behaviors within the UN competencies, you may review the UN Competency Development – A Practical Guide
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for human rights, for diversity, and for non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs. UNRWA is a non-smoking working environment.
UNRWA encourages applications from qualified and experienced women. It is Agency policy to give full consideration to disabled candidates whose disability does not militate against the effective performance of the duties of the post. UNRWA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications equally from men and women. Where there are two or more equally qualified candidates, selection preference will normally be given to internal candidates, Palestine Refugees and candidates of the under-represented gender. With their prior agreement, candidates who are approved as suitable for appointment but are not the selected candidate for this vacancy, will be placed on the Agency’s roster of pre-approved candidates for a
period of up to one year, and may be considered for future vacancies in the same position. The Agency maintains the discretion to fill future vacancies for this position from the roster without re-advertising the vacancy.
HOW TO APPLY
If you have got the skills and experience required above, and want to make an active and lasting contribution to improving the lives of Palestine refugees, then register on
by creating a personal profile and completing the UNRWA Personal History Form. Only applications received through this website will be considered. Please note that UNRWA only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Candidates may also be invited to take a technical exam in order further evaluate their qualifications for the post. Due to a high volume of applications received, only short-listed applicants will be contacted. The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. The United Nations does not concern itself with information on bank accounts.
As an Area post, preference will be given to local candidates already based in the duty station of the post.
جميع الحقوق محفوظة لموقع جوبس.