Do you have the dedication, skills, knowledge and experience to help us improve the life of Palestine refugees? The United Nations Relief and Works Agency offers challenging opportunities for professionals interested working in a results-driven and diverse environment. If you are then we would like to hear from you.
UNRWA is the United Nations agency responsible for the protection, care and human development of a population of some 4.6 million Palestine refugees living in the Gaza Strip, the West Bank, Jordan, Lebanon, and the Syrian Arab Republic. The Agency is committed to assisting Palestine refugees in maintaining a decent standard of living, acquiring appropriate knowledge and skills, enjoying the fullest possible extent of human rights, and leading a long and healthy life. UNRWA is by far the largest UN operation in the Middle East with over 29,000 staff. Most of the staff members are refugees themselves, working directly to benefit their communities – as teachers, doctors, nurses or social workers.
ICT Service Desk Assistant | مساعد دعم فني تكنولوجيا المعلومات والاتصالات
Location : Gaza Field
Type of Appointment : Fixed Term
Deadline for Application : 20 September 2017
Vacancy Announcement Number :02-09-2017
Grade : 10
Department/Division : Information Systems Office - ISO
In accordance with Agency policy and procedures, the ideal candidate:
- Acts as a single point of contact for all incoming service desk requests; logs all incoming service desk requests to the service desk system;
- Maintains a log of the ICT forms requesting ICT services and open tickets; assigns forms to ICT Service Desk staff and files these forms;
- Registers calls received from maintenance vendors and coordinates maintenance visits either through phone calls or opening tickets over the internet;
- Produces monthly reports and statistics from the service desk system;
- Follows up on pending service desk tickets with users, updates them with progress and follows up with the ICT service desk team on pending requests;
- Contacts vendors for ICT service requests of maintenance and for the purchase of consumable ICT supplies;
- Receives and sorts incoming mail; informs the supervisor/s of items of special interest; locates and attaches reference background material; distributes to staff members as appropriate; makes photocopies of material required; classifies and files documents and dispatches mail;
- Monitors the schedule/s of supervisor/s and arranges for meetings and appointments; screens visitors and telephone calls for supervisor/s; brings forward matters to the attention of supervisor/s including deadlines and pending matters and handles routine correspondence, as required;
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES
- Diploma in information technology, business and office practice or a related discipline.
- Four years’ service desk experience in a computer environment providing very basic user support.
- Good command of written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Ability to communicate, customer care oriented and maintain good relations with all staff;
- Ability to coordinate the work with others, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to use computer applications such as MS-Office;
- Good communication skills and professional demeanour.
- It’s desirable to have knowledge of UNRWA’s operations and computer facilities environment.
The incumbent may be required to work beyond normal duty hours and on call basis.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
- Basic Salary: Monthly basic salary $951.30; and monthly dependency allowance up to $123.25.
- Contract Duration: Three years including 1 year probation period.
- Employment for this post might be either on full-time or part-time basis based on the needs.
Announcing this modality does not mean that it would definitely be used. It would rather give the
Agency the flexibility to use both full time and part time contracts based on the work needs and the
personal circumstances or preferences of the staff member.
- Leave: 30 days annual leave
- Pension: Provident Fund contribution
- Other conditions of service and benefits may apply.
When the minimum requirements are not fully met, the Director of Human Resources; in consultation with the Director of UNRWA Operations, Gaza may exceptionally substitute part of the unmet requirements with a combination of relevant academic qualifications, additional professional training and progressive relevant work experience.
NB: Work experience alone or formal qualifications with no relevant work experience are not considered an acceptable combination.
Qualified candidates will be required to undergo tests and a competency based interview. To learn more about positive and negative indicators of professional behaviors within the UN competencies, you may review the UN Competency Development – A Practical Guide
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for human rights, for diversity, and for non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs. UNRWA is a non-smoking working environment.
UNRWA encourages applications from qualified and experienced women. It is Agency policy to give full consideration to disabled candidates whose disability does not militate against the effective performance of the duties of the post. UNRWA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications equally from men and women. Where there are two or more equally qualified candidates, selection preference will normally be given to internal candidates, Palestine Refugees and candidates of the under-represented gender. With their prior agreement, candidates who are approved as suitable for appointment but are not the selected candidate for this vacancy, will be placed on the Agency’s roster of pre-approved candidates for a
period of up to one year, and may be considered for future vacancies in the same position. The Agency maintains the discretion to fill future vacancies for this position from the roster without re-advertising the vacancy.
HOW TO APPLY
If you have got the skills and experience required above, and want to make an active and lasting contribution to improving the lives of Palestine refugees, then register on
by creating a personal profile and completing the UNRWA Personal History Form. Only applications received through this website will be considered. Please note that UNRWA only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Candidates may also be invited to take a technical exam in order further evaluate their qualifications for the post. Due to a high volume of applications received, only short-listed applicants will be contacted. The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. The United Nations does not concern itself with information on bank accounts.
As an Area post, preference will be given to local candidates already based in the duty station of the post.