Do you have the dedication, skills, knowledge and experience to help us improve the life of Palestine refugees? The United Nations Relief and Works Agency offers challenging opportunities for professionals interested working in a results-driven and diverse environment. If you are then we would like to hear from you.
UNRWA is the United Nations agency responsible for the protection, care and human development of a population of some 4.6 million Palestine refugees living in the Gaza Strip, the West Bank, Jordan, Lebanon, and the Syrian Arab Republic. The Agency is committed to assisting Palestine refugees in maintaining a decent standard of living, acquiring appropriate knowledge and skills, enjoying the fullest possible extent of human rights, and leading a long and healthy life. UNRWA is by far the largest UN operation in the Middle East with over 29,000 staff. Most of the staff members are refugees themselves, working directly to benefit their communities – as teachers, doctors, nurses or social workers.
Assistant Analyst Programmer | مساعد محلل انظمة / مبرمج
Location Gaza Field
Type of Appointment Limited Duration Contract
Deadline for Application 2 January 2017
Vacancy Announcement Number 02-12-2016
Grade Band E
Department/Division Relief & Social Services Programme
In accordance with established Agency policy and procedures, the ideal candidate:
- Develops and performs database tuning and performance optimization procedures; develops and is responsible for database security, backup and disaster recovery policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the administration of the database; including installation, configuration and operation
- Administrates and controls access privileges to system resources and data.
- Keeps databases up to date and ensures that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly.
- Conducting training of staff on new procedures and poverty systems.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES
- A university degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related fields.
- Five years experience in programming and excellent experience in SQL server 2012.
- It’s desirable to have excellent experience in web designing using Photoshop, CSS and Ajax
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
- Basic Salary: Monthly basic salary $1,296.90; and monthly dependency allowance $18.65 and Group Medical Insurance GMI $12.00
- Contract Duration: Six months. Extension is subject to continued need, availability of funds and satisfactory service.
- Leave: 30 days annual leave.
- Other conditions of service and benefits may apply.
- A regular staff member can apply to this LDC post but will not be allowed to assume such post through secondment as he/she needs to leave his/her current post to accept LDC appointment
When the minimum requirements are not fully met, the Director of Human Resources; in consultation with the Director of UNRWA Operations, Gaza may exceptionally substitute part of the unmet requirements with a combination of relevant academic qualifications, additional professional training and progressive relevant work experience.
NB: Work experience alone or formal qualifications with no relevant work experience are not considered an acceptable combination.
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for human rights, for diversity, and for non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs.
UNRWA encourages applications from qualified and experienced women. It is Agency policy to give full consideration to disabled candidates whose disability does not militate against the effective performance of the duties of the post. Where there are two or more equally qualified candidates, selection preference will normally be given to internal candidates, Palestine Refugees and candidates of the under-represented gender. With their prior agreement, candidates who are approved as suitable for appointment but are not the selected candidate for this vacancy, will be placed on the Agency’s roster of pre-approved candidates for a period of up to one year, and may be considered for future vacancies in the same position. The Agency maintains the discretion to fill future vacancies for this position from the roster without re-advertising the vacancy.
The Agency reserves the right not to make an appointment, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.
On appointment, all individuals will be asked to sign a self-attestation, confirming that they have not committed, been convicted of, or prosecuted for, any criminal offence and that they have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law
HOW TO APPLY
If you have got the skills and experience required above, and want to make an active and lasting contribution to improving the lives of Palestine refugees, then register on
by creating a personal profile and completing the UNRWA Personal History Form. Only applications received through this website will be considered. Please note that UNRWA only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Candidates may also be invited to take a technical exam in order further evaluate their qualifications for the post. Due to a high volume of applications received, only short-listed applicants will be contacted. The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. The United Nations does not concern itself with information on bank accounts.
As an Area post, preference will be given to local candidates already based in the duty station of the post.